I am back! And I am SO sorry I have left you all with shrinking waistlines! I promise over the next weeks I will have you back to your former fat and flourishing state that your bellies enjoyed before I started writing my exams. And YES, I am done for this year! I wrote my last exam today, so I am celebrating by sharing these goregous little fellas with you...
Yup - these are worth celebrating. Really! I have a thing for oreos, so I thought it would be pretty cool to ditch the Marie's or graham crackers and use oreos instead for these, and they did not disappoint! They are a combo of dark chocolate cake, with a gooey marshmallow centre and filled with oreo pieces and chocolate chips - did I just hear you want to celebrate too?!?!?! Well what are you waiting for...
They start off pretty much like my average chocolate cupcake and are actually very similar to my rolo cupcakes:
Except here the average base mixture gets bombarded with oreo chunks and chocolate chips :) and gets all stirred up..
so it can smother a whole marshmallow that is waiting in a prepared cupcake pan!
Once all the marshmallows are smothered (but not too smothered - only just - like until the muffin holder is 3/4 full), its time to pop these fellas into the oven!
And once they are baked, it time to let them cool completely before icing them. Just a not on baking cupcakes, I have a firm belief that it is VERY easy to ruin a cupcake by letting it bake for too long. I think that if you poke a skewer in and it comes out clean - its over done! Yes - you heard me! And no I am not crazy! I often get asked - how do you get your cake sooooo moist, and my secret is....I never cook my cupcakes for the recommended time. It takes a couple batches for me to get the timing in my oven perfect, as I am sure it will take for you in your oven, but it is worth finding the "sweet spot" baking time. It makes a hang of a difference!
I mean, check out these guys. Aren't they just gorgeous! Look at the gooey marshmallow oozing over the tops! Yum.
I made a simple, yet fluffy vanilla butter cream for these - it just seemed fitting :)
And there you have it! Now its celebration time!
Chocolate Oreo Smore Cupcakes Printable
Makes about 24 cupcakes
2 cups flour
¾ cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup full fat mayonnaise
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/3 cups freshly brewed coffee
12 Oreos, broken into chunks
100g chocolate chips (or more, or less)
- Preheat oven to 180' C / 350' F .
- Add all the ingredients in a mixing bowl except for the freshly brewed coffee and mix on high speed until combined
- Add the coffee bit by bit until it is all mixed in
- Add the oreos and chocolate chips
- Add a marshmallow to each prepared cupcake liner
- Cover each marshmallow with cake mixture, be careful not to over-fill (¾ way is perfect!)
- Bake for about 20min. (I usually check after 15 min and take them out at about 18min)
- Let them cool completely before frosting them
Fluffy Vanilla Frosting
(depending on how you choose to ice these (the method I used took a lot of icing!) you may need to make a double batch)
250g softened butter
560g icing sugar
dash of vanilla essence
dash of cream
- In an electric mixture, mix butter and icing sugar until smooth and fluffy, adding the cream bit by bit until a nice smooth piping consistency is reached.
- Add the vanilla essence and mix a bit more
- Ice your cooled cupcakes as you wish!